The face of banks has undergone massive change. Unlike the days of the old, today they offer not only the traditional banking services but also other features like financial planning, investment advice etc. While it tends to make you think that these services are free, they do come at a cost. Here are some hidden fees that not many are aware of.
1. Minimum balance charge: Your bank’s sales executive may have sweet-talked you into opening an account with them. But see what happens what happens if you fail to minimum balance. You’ll be slapped be minimum balance charge ranging from Rs 20 to Rs 750.
2. Chequebook: Use cheques over a specific no and you’ll end up paying for the excess usage. These fees range from Rs 50 to Rs 200 for each chequebook.
3. Closing the account: Try closing the account within 6 months of opening and you end up paying even for saying adieu. The charges range from s 50 to Rs 200
4. Certificates: Ask the bank to give you any documents like attestations or certificates, you will be charged Rs 50 to Rs 250 for it.
5. Bounced cheque: If your cheque bounces, you end up paing anything from Rs 50 to Rs 500 for it.
6. Cash transaction at your non-home branches: While banks claim to offer you any branch banking, try banking in any branch that is not your home branch, you’ll end up paying charges for it.
7. ATM: Try withdrawing cash at other banks’ ATMs, you’ll have to pay Rs 10 to Rs 100 for each transaction, after the initial 5 free transactions are over.
8. Account statement: Normally one statement is sent free every quarter. But if you want more than that, you will end up having to pay Rs 50 to Rs 500 for each statement.
9. Debit card charges: Banks have started offering debit cards which are chargeable in place of ATM cards which were free. The cost ranges from Rs 100 to Rs 500 per annum.
10. NEFT/RTGS charges: Banks have now started levying charges for using NEFT/RTGS. This means if you use this service 10 times and the bank charges you Rs 10 per transaction, then you end up paying Rs 100 a month.
Besides there are numerous charges like DD charges, outstation cheque clearing charges etc. So think carefully before using any of the conveniences offered by the banks.